Yosemite West Property &
Homeowners, Inc.

YWPHI Board of Directors' Meeting - July 21, 2011, 7:00 p.m.

The meeting was held at Rea Jackman's house and via conference call-in. The meeting was chaired by Acting President Kelly Rich and called to order at 7:20 p.m.

Directors present: Bill Duff, Rea Jackman, Kim O'Neil, Kelly Rich, and Mike Stepien
Directors absent: Todd Caranto, Tom Lambert
Committee chairs present: John Mock (Fire Safety)
Guests present: Malcolm Neal

I. Minutes

Kelly Rich reported that he had been unable to make contact with Tom Lambert in order to obtain an April 20, 2011 set of minutes. Kim O'Neil volunteered to provide a set of these minutes from her notes for approval at the next Board meeting.

The June 23, 2011 draft minutes were circulated to the Board for review, and Kelly Rich asked for any outstanding comments/changes. Kim O'Neil reported that she deleted the last sentence in the Treasurer's Report. The minutes were approved with this change.

II. Treasurer's Report

Treasurer Kim O'Neil presented the 2nd Quarter 2011 (4/1/2011 to 6/30/2011) Treasurer's Report:

The Balance Sheet shows total assets of $11,203.30, which included:
$3914.60 checking account
$7288.70 savings account

The Profit & Loss statement shows a net loss of $326.33:
$35.00 total income from membership dues
$160.00 income from mailbox sales
$0.92 other income from interest
$522.25 total net expenses
The itemized expenses included:
$26.28 Grant Expense [reimbursable]
$275.80 Meals & Entertainment (Memorial Day picnic)
$17.60 Postage & Delivery
$13.59 Printing & Reproduction
$12.96 Sales Tax
$14.43 Office Supplies
$129.88 Supplies (garbage cans, folding tables)
$31.71 Telephone

2010-11 Membership Report: 120

Kelly Rich confirmed that he will conduct the annual review of the organization's finances as required by the YWPHI Bylaws on his next visit to Yosemite West. The need for this review to be completed prior to the annual meeting was explained at the last Board meeting.

III. Committee Reports

A. Fire Safety Committee

(1) Fire Safety Grants Update

John Mock reported:

Bill Duff raised the issue of the need for an overall community plan to build on the success of the Fire Safety grants and other Fire Safe-related activities - to be discussed at a future Board meeting. [Note: the Yosemite West Community Wildfire Protection Plan, approved in June 2008 (http://www.yosemitewest.org/ywcwpp.pdf), is such a plan.]

(2) Hose Lay

Malcolm Neal confirmed the fire hose lay training is confirmed for July 27, 2011 at 3 p.m. to be held at the fire hydrant on the corner of Henness Circle and Azalea Lane. The County and Park Fire Departments confirmed they will attend and lead the training. Malcolm will video the training and edit it into a training DVD for future use by the community.

After some discussion, John Mock volunteered to call and check any liability issues. Also, Kim O'Neil confirmed that she will send an email inviting community members to participate.

Bill Duff raised the issue that following this training, there will be a need to pull together a plan for utilizing this training, for handling fire-related emergencies in the future, and for ensuring that we maintain our level of readiness/ability - to be discussed at a future Board meeting.

Malcolm Neal explained that he did an inventory of the equipment in the fire hose houses. Some discussion ensued on missing (two shut-off butts) and/or damaged equipment and the need to lock the hose houses. Malcolm volunteered to provide a list and cost estimate of what needs to be replaced at the upcoming annual meeting.

The point was brought up that construction of the fourth fire hose house had already been approved by the Board. Kim O'Neil will provide the date and amount previously approved to Malcolm ($1,000 was approved at the April 20, 2011 meeting).

B. Newsletter

Kim O'Neil circulated a draft of the next newsletter prior to the Board meeting. The Board thanked her for putting the newsletter together, and for getting content from other community members.

It appeared that a lot of discussion on the content and format could develop. Since the newsletter was scheduled to be published in the next couple of days, it was agreed to publish the newsletter with minor edits. Board members noted the need to review future drafts and provide feedback to allow for timely discussion and approval.

One point raised by Bill Duff, regarding the major issue of bears and improper garbage disposal, was tabled for a future Board meeting since it did not directly relate to proofreading and publishing this issue of the newsletter.

IV. Old Business

A. Emergency Telephone Tree

Kelly Rich raised some questions on the telephone tree usage. This topic had been previously tabled for a future Board meeting, and these additional questions will be part of that discussion.

B. Member Survey

The member survey was drafted with input from most Board members. Kim O'Neil reformatted the survey questions to obtain statistical measure of satisfaction/dissatisfaction on each survey question. Discussion ensued on content, structure, and method of distribution. In the interests of time, the discussion was brought to a close and the following was agreed:

V. New Business

A. Annual Meeting

Discussion took place on the need for a functioning Nominating Committee, the procedures for appointing officers and for nominating Directors to the Board, and other related issues. It was agreed to forward the current list of Directors, request volunteers at the annual meeting, and for current Board members to continue to suggest/recommend potential nominees.

It was reported that the minutes of the "short" Board meeting held after the last annual meeting were previously approved. However, draft minutes of September 5, 2010 annual meeting need to be circulated to the Board before distribution to the membership. Kelly Rich will resend these draft minutes. The annual meeting will be announced in the newsletter and in a separate email, which Kim O'Neil will do. The Board thanked her for doing so.

B. July 23rd Barbecue

Rea Jackman reported that all of the arrangements were in place for the upcoming barbecue. The Board thanked her for organizing this event.

C. Yosemite West Archives

John Mock had no additional information to report at this time, but will report to the membership at the annual meeting.

The next meeting will be the annual meeting on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 10:30 a.m. at Betty Clark's house, 7486 Henness Circle, but the location still needs to be confirmed.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:07 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Bill Duff
YWPHI Secretary

Site Map
Copyright text © Yosemite West Property & Homeowners, Inc. 2003-2012, Copyright photographs © John Mock 2004-2012.
All rights reserved. Unauthorized redistribution of this document is prohibited. Updated February 7, 2012.